To Gap or Not to Gap: The Post-Undergrad Dilemma for Pre-Meds

Options

Hi fellow pre-meds!

I’m excited to share that I’ve just graduated as a Bachelor of Science majoring in Human Biology and Immunology, with a minor in Psychology!

As many of us toss our caps into the air and bid farewell to undergrad life, a pressing question looms: Should we dive straight into medical school, or take a gap year (or two) to recharge, explore, and prepare?

This decision isn't easy, and it's one that requires a lot of reflection and input. So, let’s discuss!

Going Straight to Med School: The Pros and Cons

Pros:

1. Momentum: You’re already in “study mode” and can seamlessly transition into the rigorous med school curriculum.
  2. Earlier Start: You’ll become a doctor sooner, giving you a head start on your medical career.
  3. Consistent Routine: If you thrive on structure, the continuous academic journey might suit you well.

Cons:

1. Burnout Risk: After years of intense studying, jumping straight into more of the same could lead to burnout.
  2. Limited Experiences: You might miss out on opportunities to travel, work, or engage in activities that could enrich your personal and professional growth.
  3. No Time to Reflect: A gap year can provide valuable time to reflect on your career goals and ensure medicine is the right path for you.

Taking a Gap Year: The Pros and Cons

Pros:

1. Rest and Recharge: Time off can help you recover from the academic grind and enter med school with renewed energy.
  2. Broaden Horizons: Travel, volunteer work, or gaining healthcare experience can broaden your perspective and make you a more well-rounded candidate.
  3. Better Preparation: More time to prepare for the MCAT, strengthen your application, and gain relevant experiences.

Cons:

1. Disrupted Routine: The break from academic life can make the transition back to studying challenging.
  2. Delayed Career Start: Taking time off means you’ll start your medical career later than your peers who go straight through.
  3. Financial Considerations: Gap years can be costly, especially if you’re traveling or undertaking unpaid opportunities.

My Journey: Choosing a Gap Year

After much thought, I’ve decided to take a gap year. The decision wasn’t easy, but I’m excited about what lies ahead. Here’s what I’m planning:

• Work: Gaining some hands-on experience in healthcare to strengthen my application and ensure this is the right path for me. I'm currently working at a sports medicine clinic!
  • Travel: Exploring new places and cultures, broadening my horizons, and taking a well-deserved break from academic life. I plan to visit Costa Mujeres, Mexico this summer.
  • Self-Discovery: Using this time to discover new interests, develop new skills, and gain a deeper understanding of myself and my goals. So far, I've taken to workout classes like spin and heavy-bag boxing classes to help me de-stress and also stay healthy!

I believe this gap year will not only recharge my batteries but also provide me with invaluable experiences that will make me a better and more empathic doctor in the future.

Your Thoughts?

Now, I want to hear from you! Are you planning to take a gap year or go straight to med school? What factors are influencing your decision? Let’s share our thoughts, experiences, and advice. Your insights could help someone make one of the biggest decisions of their life.

Drop your comments below and let’s get the conversation started!

#SBAGiveaway

Comments

• Sheila_hndz
    Sheila_hndz Posts: 2

Kaplan Community Plus

Options

Hi Isabella!

Congrats on graduating!! Super excited for you.

I am currently an incoming junior in undergrad and for the longest time I was set on no gap year, however as the time to apply gets closer and closer everyday, I can say that a gap year has many benefits to it.

I thought, based on my culture and biases, that a gap year meant vacation, lazy and laid back, however, I now know it is the complete opposite. It is what you make of it and what you plan to do with your time that really matters.

I have decide to take a gap year to enhance my application and potentially get a Master's degree, although I am not 100% sure as to what I am gonna do, I do plan on making the most out of it to explore my path and make sure I make the right choice. Medicine is a never ending journey so I don't think I should rush into it. Although I am 100% sure that becoming a doctor is what I am meant to do and that it is my true passion, I also know that I won't benefit from burning myself out in an attempt to make it there.

There is such a stigma on gap years and delaying medical school, however, if you take advantage of it, it is a great benefit and awesome opportunity.

Lastly, I want to wish you good luck with your journey and all the opportunities coming your way! I would also love to chat a bit more about your pre-med journey!