Top 5 FAQ - Question 2: How to determine if I need tutoring?

Options

Hey Kaplan Pre-Med Community! My name is Angeleigh, and I am an enrollment counselor at Kaplan.

My team helps thousands of students each year with getting started on- or changing the course of- their MCAT prep journeys. One of the most common questions we get asked is "Is private tutoring right for me?".

So, how do you determine if you need tutoring? The short answer is that anyone can benefit from tutoring! But I am guessing that response is not what you are here for. Ask yourself these questions to see if you might need to integrate private tutoring into your prep.

1) How'd your first practice exam go?

Your benchmark score (or the score you receive on your very first practice exam) is by no means an indicator of what you can ultimately achieve on your official MCAT, but it does provide a good baseline for identifying areas of opportunity at the beginning of your prep. If your score was much lower than expected or if you see that your section scores vary widely, a tutor will be able to help you zero in on those content areas of opportunity right from the beginning of your prep.
(Feeling nervous about taking a practice exam right at the start of your prep? Check out rockstar MCAT instructor Ae-Ri Kim's post here on why we recommend not pushing off getting your benchmark score.)  

2) Have you taken all of the pre-req courses that are tested on the MCAT?

The MCAT does not require test-takers to demonstrate any level of college coursework, but it sure will test you on that coursework! College level courses that are good to have under your belt before you prepare for the MCAT are:
-2 semesters Biology
-2 semesters Chemistry
-Psychology/Sociology
-Physics
-Biochemistry
-Organic Chemistry

It's pretty common for MCAT students to take their Biochemistry or Psychology/Sociology courses alongside studying for the MCAT, but if you have not yet taken any of the courses on this list (and do not plan to take them before your MCAT), you may need some extra support in those areas of your prep. Kaplan's courses all include content review modules and readings for the topics tested on the exam, but a tutor will be able to mitigate the added stress of covering those content areas from the ground up.

2b) How long has it been since you took those courses?

Maybe you have taken those pre-requisite courses, but it's been 5...8...10+ years since you have worked with that material. First off: Welcome! Kaplan helps non-traditional students achieve their MCAT and med school admissions goals all the time. It may take you longer to review the content at the beginning of your prep, and a tutor will help you manage this added review to make sure you are not wasting any time in your preparation.

3) What is your goal score?

Every med school applicant has different goals based on the schools they will be applying to and the strength of the rest of their application. If you are aiming for a rock star score on the exam, working with a tutor 1:1 from the beginning of your prep is the most efficient way to get there. As your score increases, it takes more and more work to raise it further. A tutor will help you refine your testing strategy and make the little tweaks to your approach that are necessary to push into higher score ranges.

4) How will MCAT prep fit into your life?

Some MCAT students are able to dedicate a few months over summer break to focus almost exclusively on their prep. But for the majority of test takers, MCAT studies have to fit in alongside school, work, and other obligations. If you are studying over a tight timeline (less than 3 months) or if you have a lot of obligations to balance with your MCAT studies, a tutor will help make sure you stay on track with your timeline and goals. They will also ensure that you are spending precious study time on only the aspects of the exam that you personally need to focus on.

4) How much structure do you prefer in your studies?

If you are the type of student that benefits from a lot of structure and outside accountability, working with a private tutor is the perfect way to achieve that in your MCAT studies. Along with helping to address any content areas of opportunity, develop your testing strategy, and personalize your study plan, a tutor can also serve as an accountability partner throughout your studies.

Of course there are many other aspects that make each MCAT student's journey unique. If you would like to discuss your journey and get some help finding whether private tutoring is a good fit for you, you can book a convenient time for a free consultation call with my team here.

(Looking for help on the rest of your application? Check out this discussion on the importance of Clinical vs Research Experience with admissions consultant Maria Loftus)