Top 5 FAQ - Question 1: How/When should I build a study plan?

Options
Aaron
Aaron Kaplan Faculty Posts: 1

🚨

So, study planning, eh?  We all know it’s important, but it also feels like such a chore, and anyway can’t we just follow the document someone linked on Reddit? (Spoilers: No)

What makes it especially tough for me (aside from confronting the reality that I already have way less time for studying than I maybe wanted) is that it can feel overwhelming trying to anticipate my needs for the next several weeks and months ahead of time and balancing that with making sure I’m not missing anything important.  The net result is that I often feel like I am just going to end up trying to channel my inner Ash Ketchum and “Catch ‘em all” when it comes to resources. I end up wedging them wherever I can and hoping for the best, all while constantly having to readjust my plan as my schedule changes.

In short, I don’t plan so much as I just grab everything and hope that I’ll end up doing the “right thing” simply by virtue of doing so much.  After all, after giving up so much (sleep, free time, hobbies, time with family/friends, eating more than one meal a day, not hallucinating from exhaustion, etc.)  it must work, right? Right?!

So, how do we fix this to make a study plan that is actually useful and ensures from the start of our studying that it will cover everything we might possibly need?

That’s right!  We don’t!  Instead of trying to cram everything in upfront and hoping that you were right about what you needed to be doing three months into the future, get comfortable reserving blocks on your schedule.  Separating the time without filling in the blocks with anything specific will allow you to adjust your schedule to your changing needs without feeling like you have to start from scratch each time.
Ah, but how do you know what you need?  Well, for starters, take a practice test!  Not only will this give you a sense of where you are, but it will also get you started doing the practice you know you’re going to need to do!  I know it can be scary, but as my colleague Aeri Kim pointed out, having a score to start from makes it much easier to see the scope of what you might need, and can help you better understand what the MCAT really requires (tip: it’s not just cramming more content).

So don’t try to over-plan from the start, and don’t try to use “everything” – a viable study plan is going to be one that is flexible enough to grow with you as you are practicing and learning, and leaves you time to rest and recover each week!

When are you starting to prep for the MCAT, or when are you testing if you have already started? Let us know in the comments and remember to check out our free practice test and starter pack no matter what stage of MCAT prep you’re in!