How Do You Ask a Doctor to Shadow Them Without Being Awkward?

Kendra_Solis
Kendra_Solis Posts: 932 image
edited June 20 in Pre-Med Success

Let’s talk about it: cold-emailing or walking up to a physician to ask if you can follow them around while they do their job feels incredibly daunting. It’s easy to feel like you’re imposing on their already chaotic schedule.

But here’s the truth you need to remember: almost every doctor you meet was once in your exact shoes and is more than willing to pay it forward!

Here’s your step-by-step, awkward-free guide to securing a shadowing spot, complete with templates you can steal.

1. Find the Right Targets

Don't just blind-email the Chief of Surgery at a major research hospital and expect a quick reply. Instead, start where the odds are in your favor:

  • Your own network: Ask your personal primary care doctor, family friends, or professors if they know anyone willing to take on a student.
  • Alumni networks: Utilize your university’s alumni database or LinkedIn to find local physicians who attended your undergrad. They already have a soft spot for you.
  • Community clinics or private practices: Smaller, private practices often have less institutional red tape (like human resources clearance) than massive hospital systems, making it easier for a doctor to just say "yes."

2. The Anatomy of a Perfect Cold Email

When reaching out digitally, prioritize brevity and professionalism. Doctors often check emails between patients; if they encounter a long message from an unknown sender, they’re likely to ignore it.

Keep your email structured around four simple elements:

  • Who you are: A brief, one-sentence introduction (e.g., premed junior at X University).
  • Why them: A specific reason you’re reaching out to their specialty or practice.
  • The ask: Be clear that you’re looking for a short-term shadowing opportunity (even just a half-day to start).
  • The friction-remover: Make it easy for them to say yes by showing you are flexible and respect their time.

Subject: Pre-Med Student Shadowing Inquiry – [Your Name]

Dear Dr. [Last Name],

I hope this email finds you well. My name’s [Your Name], and I’m a current pre-med [junior/post-bacc student] at [University Name] planning to apply to medical school next cycle.

I am incredibly interested in [Specialty, e.g., Pediatrics/Orthopedic Surgery], and I came across your practice through [mention alumni network, mutual connection, or a specific clinic search]. I am looking to gain more insight into the daily realities of clinical practice and would be incredibly grateful for the opportunity to shadow you for a half-day or full day, at your convenience.

I know your schedule is exceptionally busy, and I am more than happy to adapt to whatever day or time works best for you. I have also completed my university's HIPAA training and am fully vaccinated.

Thank you so much for your time and for considering my request.

Warm regards,

[Your Name]

[Your Phone Number]

[Link to LinkedIn Profile, optional]

3. The "In-Person" Script (For Local Clinics)

If you’re dropping off a resume at a local clinic, you’ll likely be speaking to the front desk receptionist or office manager first. Be incredibly polite! They’re the gatekeepers.

What to say:

"Hi there! My name is [Your Name], and I’m a pre-med student nearby. I’m hoping to connect with Dr. [Last Name] about potentially shadowing them for a half-day in the future. I know they are incredibly busy with patients right now, but could I leave my resume and a brief note with you, or is there a preferred email address where I could reach out?"

4. Overcoming the "Ghosting" Phase

Doctors are flooded with messages. If you don’t hear back in 7 to 10 business days, don’t take it personally. It doesn’t mean it was intentional; it’s more likely that it slipped to page two of their inbox.

Send a polite, brief follow-up on top of your original email thread:

"Dear Dr. [Last Name], I wanted to follow up briefly on my previous note. I know you have a demanding schedule, but I am still very interested in shadowing you if your calendar permits over the next few weeks. Thank you again for your time!"

If they don’t reply to the follow-up, move on to the next lead. It’s a numbers game!

image.png

Community Advice: 💬

For those who’ve already successfully landed a shadowing gig: What’s the number one piece of advice you’d give to someone trying to get their foot in the door?

If you’re still looking: What’s holding you back or stressing you out the most about reaching out to doctors?

Drop your tips, scripts, or questions below so we can help each other out!